Thursday, November 13, 2014

What do we do with what we know about juvenile delinquency?

Now what?
There are complex issues involved with each of these belief statements. The results of this discussion create an image of a young, minority, gang-affiliated man who has a history and a future full of violent criminal activity, looking up to negative role models, suffering from low self-esteem, and burdened by an inability to change. If this is the image held by those with the ability to affect change and impact policy, it stands to reason little improvement in the treatment of these youth will occur. Also, if this is the image held by those who work with troubled or challenging youth on a regular basis, it further implies the interventions that could interrupt a negative trajectory will be less likely to take place.
Of the myths discussed in this blog, there are certainly incarcerated youth who fit the characteristics and demonstrate the true versions of each of these ideas. However, what is often believed to be the case for troubled youth, is frequently incorrect. It is through a deeper understanding of the real individuals involved in challenging life circumstances that an impact can be made. To help others see a more accurate view, one respondent in this discussion shared her inspirational personal story of redemption after contact with the juvenile justice system.
I was a child who was going down the wrong path. I was molested by my biological father and it took a psychotic toll on me. I hated the world. Myself. I fought because I wanted others to feel my pain. I stole because the adrenaline would be a fun high. I used drugs to forget the pain. I drank to just be. I was spinning out of control. I had a special person who believed I could be better. My probation officer didn't make me a statistic. He gave me HOPE. He gave me a father figure I never had. Today, I never forget him or the social worker who helped me see life better than being betrayed. Today, I help people. I love kids. I preach love, laugh, hope, live every moment with no regrets. My family is me. My hope and faith guide me. … I help people. My smile and laugh help people. My heart is on my sleeve and I love who I've become.

What does this mean going forward?
The implications of this discussion are broad ranging. They affect disability education, the educational system, the justice system, and future research.
Disability Education
It is necessary to identify which characteristics are the result of genuine delinquent tendencies or choices and which are a manifestation of an existing disability. The Differential Treatment Theory (Keilitz, Zaremba, & Broder, 1979) discussed previously brings light to the confusion that exists over the source or cause of undesirable behavior. It demonstrates the possibility that some incarcerated youth are detained for inappropriate reasons and fear of dangerousness or at risk behavior is actually a misinterpreted symptom of a disability. The misunderstanding represented through the Differential Treatment Theory is the result of commonly held beliefs, many of which are actually myths. Debunking these myths will lessen the frequency of these misunderstandings.
Educational System
By treating all students as criminals with the hopes of preventing criminal behavior, schools are instituting policies that lead to worsening behaviors instead of the intended results. The ACLU explains this phenomenon, referred to as the “school-to-prison pipeline” as “the policies and practices that push our nation’s schoolchildren, especially our most at-risk children, out of classrooms and into the juvenile and criminal justice systems. This pipeline reflects the prioritization of incarceration over education” (n.d., para. 1). The factors leading to increased incarceration of youth include failing public schools, zero-tolerance and other school discipline policies, police on school campuses, alternative schools for disciplinary problems, and court involvement for violations that used to be handled by schools instead (ACLU, n.d.). New discipline policies in schools will have a significant impact on the number of youth inappropriately incarcerated and mistreated.
Justice System
Additionally, there are misunderstandings within the justice system itself. In the opening message to the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention’s 2011 juvenile arrests report, Administrator Robert L. Listenbee discussed research prompting system improvement.
With time, the cumulative effects of these and other reform efforts … should result in a system where arrests are rare, all youth are treated fairly, and when a youth enters the system, he or she receives much-needed treatment and services. Such changes would undoubtedly provide positive and healthy outcomes for youth, families, and communities. (Puzzanchera, 2013, para. 3)
Future Research
Future research should be conducted on many of these belief statements, especially those about which there are conflicting reports, to clarify any confusion. A more thorough understanding of juvenile delinquents would enhance intervention efforts going forward.
Shifting the beliefs so common among educated adults will impact the experiences of these students with the possibility of interrupting a trajectory toward delinquency for many at risk youth. As one respondent states, “There are people that believe that kids are bad or that kids are not bad. If people believe that kids are ‘bad’ then they will treat them as such and never be able to see them as anything else.”